Free web and mobile application based guidance and
counseling service for youth and marriage migrants
CFO - Sa Iyong Sulok (CFO-SIS)



All resident of Canada, including permanent residents who are old enough to work, must file an income tax return to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) each year, whether they earned any money or not. If a resident is working for an employer, a percentage of his/her pay cheque will be deducted and sent to the federal government to cover his/her income tax. If too much is deducted, the resident will get a refund. The tax helps pay the cost of government services.


Banks offer quality services such as online banking and automatic banking machines to make life easier for customers. 

In the long-term an immigrant cannot probably survive without a bank account. It is necessary to have a bank account to receive a salary, to rent or buy accommodation, pay for gas and electricity, and access other amenities.

To open an account, an applicant is required to provide two (2) two government issued pieces of identification (e.g. passport, driver’s license, Provincial Health Card, Social Insurance Card) and proof of address (usually requested in the form of utility bill). Foreign residents are usually asked to provide a reference from their employer or educational institution or from their previous bank.

The Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC) is a federal Crown Corporation created in 1967 to provide deposit insurance and contribute to the stability of Canada’s financial system. In Canada, all banking institution members of the CDIC guarantee savings deposits for up to CAD$60,000 per depositor.

The biggest Canadian banks are:

Royal Bank of Canada (
TD Canada Trust (
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (
Bank of Nova Scotia (
Bank of Montreal (

Biggest Canadian Banks Asset Sizes* (C$)
Royal Bank of Canada (RBC Royal Bank) $1,032,172,000,000
Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD Canada Trust) $1,030,954,000,000
Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank) $837,161,000,000
Bank of Montreal (BMO Bank of Montreal) $633,275,000,000
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) $439,203,000,000

All banks listed above have offices in most Canadian cities. There are also many regional banks, credit unions, and international banks such as HSBC, Citibank, ING Bank, UBS, etc.






Different provinces have different requirements in getting a driver’s license. Generally, an applicant needs to present any license that bears signature and identification and birth certificates or passports for a driver’s license. The applicant also needs to take a written and practical driving examination. 

A non-resident driver who holds a valid driver's license from his/her home jurisdiction may drive with his/her out-of-province driver's license for a maximum of six (6) months. This applies even if a resident holds a valid international driving permit.


Alberta Registries
9th Floor South Brownlee Building
10365 97th Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3W7
Telephone numbers : (780) 427-7031
Fax number : (780) 422-4286
Website : 

British Columbia
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC)
151 West Esplanade 
North Vancouver, BC, V7M 3H9 
Telephone number : (604) 661-2800
Fax number : (604) 646-7400
Website : 

Manitoba Public Insurance
Driver and Vehicle Licensing
1075 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3G 0S1
Telephone number : (204) 985-1100
Toll Free : (866) 323-0544
Website : 

New Brunswick
Department of Transportation
Motor Vehicle Branch
PO Box 1998
Fredericton, New Brunswick E3B 5G4
Telephone number : (506) 453-2834
Fax number : (506) 444-4253
Website : 

Government of Newfoundland and
Labrador Services & Transportation
Motor Registration Division
PO Box 8710
St. John's, Newfoundland A1B 4J5
Telephone numbers : (709) 729-2518, or (709) 729-2519
Fax number : (709) 729-1843
Website : 

Northwest Territories
Department of Transportation
Government of the Northwest Territories
Motor Vehicles Division
Box 1320
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories X1A 2L9
Telephone number : (867) 873-7406
Fax number : (867) 873-0120
Website : 

Nova Scotia
Department of Transportation and Communications
Registry of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 1652
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3L 4P1
Telephone number : (902) 424-5851
Fax number : (902) 424-0535
Website : 

Government of Nunavut
Division of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 207
Gjoa Haven, Nunavut X0E 1SO
Telephone number : (867) 975-5382
Fax number : (867) 975-5836
Website : 

Ministry of Transportation Information
License Assistance Section
Main Floor, Building A
1201 Wilson Avenue
Downsview, Ontario M3M 1J8
Telephone numbers : (416) 235-4686; 1-800-268-4686
Fax number : (416) 235-4414
Website : 

Prince Edward Island
Island Information Service
Government of Prince Edward Island
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 7N8
Telephone number : (902) 368-5200
Fax number : (902) 569-7560
Website : 

Societe de l'Assurance Automobile du Quebec
Case Postale 19600
Quebec City, Quebec G1K 8J6
Telephone number : (418) 528-4050
Fax number : (418) 643-7180
Website :

SGI Auto Fund Division
2260 - 11th Avenue
Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 2N7
Telephone number : 1-800-667-9868
Fax number : (306) 352-5220
Website : 

Department of Motor Vehicle Community
and Transportation Services
PO Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
Telephone number : (867) 667-5315
Fax number : (867) 393-6220
Website :


The Language Instruction for Newcomers in Canada (LINC) is a federal government program for all eligible adult immigrants. If offers the following services

1. Free language training for adult new comers who want or need basic English or French;
2. Language classes given by school boards, colleges and local organizations;
3. Transportation and child-minding, if necessary.


The Host Program is a federally funded program that matches newcomers with a Canadian family or individual. The host volunteers provide the following services to the members:

1. Overcome the stress of moving to a new country;
2. Learn about available services and how to use them;
3. Practice English or French;
4. Prepare to look for a job; and
5. Participate in community activities.